How to apply the “Dominating Attribute” visual principleHow to apply the “Dominating Attribute” visual principle https://www.visualstorytell.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/house-thumb.jpg 368 217 Shlomi Ron Shlomi Ron https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/906bcce31d9695cb030087534b5f0f6e?s=96&d=mm&r=g
- Shlomi Ron
- no comments
- Client: Swedish bank and one-click payment system Klarna.
- Agency: Nord DDB and directed by The Perlorian Brothers.
- Platform: Instagram.
- Backstory: As part of a larger campaign that started last year, and in support of Klarna’s new Website launch, Nord DDB repurposed this video clip on Instagram last month, and created a viral sensation (31k views, and 300 comments).
Why does it work?
- Brand attribute: The clip works because it takes one dominating feature and taking it to the extreme to demo the key value benefit of the product. In this case, how smooth payments can be using the service – and blow it up to the extreme by using a swimming “mermaid” Afghan dog. The same principle was successfully used in the famed Blendtec’s Will it Blend YouTube campaign.
- Emotion: The target emotion is a sheer surprise, coupled with pet always-high likability factor.
- Repurposing: Great illustration of how to recycle content from a longer commercial that was syndicated on TV to Instagram.
- Trigger caption: The Instagram caption is: When you’re swimming into the weekend like… #noworries is a great example of how to prime your audience to respond. And indeed, their audience completed the story in their heads with a ton of interpretative comments.
- Business objective: Speaking about the customer’s “Road of Trials,” this clip demonstrates how you can stage wow moments for your audience, at the top funnel to drive positive brand awareness leveraging Instagram.
- Relevancy to VSI Framework: Transform your meta-story into a mini visual story that matches your buyer’s stage in the journey and platform culture (Story Making > Story Visualizing > Story Telling in our framework). Klarna’s meta-story commitment to SMOOTH payments is effectively visualized to trigger emotional resonance and then story-told leveraging Instagram’s visual grammar.
Looking for a custom Visual Storytelling
workshop around your product?
Schedule a conversation
Shlomi Ron is the CEO of the Visual Storytelling Institute (VSI), the primary think tank for helping brands rise above the communication noise through visual storytelling consulting, training, production, and thought leadership. A digital marketing veteran with over 20 years of experience working both on the agency and brand sides for Fortune 100/500 brands such as Nokia, IBM, and American Express. Along his journey, he was nursing his side passion for visual media with interests in classic Italian cinema (cafePellicola.com) and video art (BukySchwartz.com). Thought leader and speaker at key marketing conferences. He is also the host of the Visual Storytelling Today podcast. Shlomi's new book: Total Acuity: Tales with Marketing Morals To Help You Create Richer, Visual Brand Stories. His favorite quote: "A story is nothing but a mirror. The magic happens the moment your brand story mirrors your customer’s personal story." Outside work, he is a nascent bread baker, The Moth fan, and longtime fedora wearer likely to jive with his classic Italian cinema interest.All stories by: Shlomi Ron
You might also like
How to find balance between quantity and quality in visual storytellingHow to find balance between quantity and quality in visual storytelling https://www.visualstorytell.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/fruit-thumb1.jpg 370 216 Shlomi Ron Shlomi Ron https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/906bcce31d9695cb030087534b5f0f6e?s=96&d=mm&r=g
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.